• Image of MIDDLE BAY LIGHT (GRANITE)
  • Image of MIDDLE BAY LIGHT (GRANITE)

Middle Bay Lighthouse was activated in 1885. In the summer of 1916, the keeper's wife gave birth to a baby at the lighthouse. His wife was unable to nurse the newborn, so he brought a dairy cow to the station and corralled it on a section of the lower deck. The station was damaged by a hurricane that same year, and although it survived, all had to be evacuated. Automated in 1935, deactivated in 1967 - it still stands today against all odds.